Tuesday 1 July 2014

Shirley de Kock and Bernhard Gueller


BERNHARD GUELLER

Keith strikes me as the most versatile amateur (if I may use that word about a man to whom music is life) musician I have met.   That came home to me when I conducted his 70th birthday concert a couple of years ago at a church in Buitenkant Street.  Many of you will remember how his talent shone through – if memory serves me well, he conducted the Chichester Psalms, he then played the last movement of the Organ Symphony on the organ, and the Shostakovich 2nd Piano Concerto, a feat daunting for fully professional musicians.  He also always had interesting comments on the concerts I conducted with the orchestra in Cape Town over the last 20 years!

We met when he was the choral trainer of the Symphony Choir and collaborated on, I think, the Schubert Mass, This led to more collaborations and a friendship that spanned the last two decades.

He has always played a large role in the musical life of the city.


SHIRLEY DE KOCK GUELLER


It was the time of democracy, everyone in my environment was excited, tense, stressed, exhausted and working hard, not the least the choristers and the management team in the first Cape Town Caltex Massed Choir Festival.  The music was chosen and hey, we needed some new arrangements of works for massed choir with symphony orchestra, all of which needed tonic sol-fa added to the staff notation since many choristers couldn’t read music.  Then there was also the new South African anthem. Who came to mind? Keith Mattison. Whose task was it to commission and get the works?  Mine.  Who got the grey hairs? Both of us, I think!

Although my encounters with Keith had been several over the years  … one notable one was when I, sitting on the platform at a CTSO concert, watched him rush up at the last moment for the last movement of the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony, waving people out of his way so that he was able to connect with the conductor at the right time – but Caltex is when I really got to know him.  And know that he worked best under pressure.  There were many times when, like Mozart, the ink wasn’t dry when the copies came, but we always got them.  Since then, we have remained friends and when we went to Canada in 2004 when Bernhard got a job there, Keith and Ruth hosted a farewell for us. I can’t remember whether it was then that he gave me a copy of Farley Mowett’s The Boat that Wouldn’t Float, a story of a sailor in Cape Breton (a part of Nova Scotia where we were to be spending some months each year for the next few years), it shaped my thinking about Canada, and when we visited Cape Breton we had to visit the mud flats in Baddeck to see where the boat ended up.  But I can see why Keith and Ruth ended up here … the weather is far, far better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment