Sunday 27 July 2014

Ruth Mattison


KEITH’S  EULOGY

Ruth Mattison

I had the great privilege of being Keith’s partner for 50 years - A front row seat on a life that was filled with adventure, music, friends and family.  He was driven by curiosity and a need to live life on the edge.  He was interested in everything and everyone – outgoing and often outrageous, always over the speed limit or parked illegally.  He thumbed his nose at convention and did things his way.

We had an interesting life together.  He had the wind in his sails and I was the anchor.  Both necessary.  Our love was deep and we trusted each other completely.
His four great interweaving passions were family and friends, music, sailing and teaching.  He kept his greatest love for his children and grandchildren – each one dear to his heart.

Ben, Ethan, Matthew, Hannah, Theo, Alex and Sophie (bemhats)– Harry loved you.  I know you all thought he was the naughtiest person you knew – full of delicious plans and projects for adventure and fun and always ready for hugs.  I hope he has passed on to you his love for life and his belief that you can do anything when you believe in yourself.  Hold Harry in your heart and he will never leave you.
To everyone who loved him, thank you for bringing joy into his life.

To my wonderful children Kevin, Sam and Niki and their partners Sandy, Mike and Rob - Thank you for your love and support always.  Together we will survive the loss of Keith and hold him dear.

Wind howls, trees moan, sky weeps
A great soul whispers farewell.
Uprooted from this life
Flies free once more
Gone sailing
To another shore

(Note: I wrote this poem the day after Keith’s death.  A big storm came through the night he died and uprooted the tallest tree on the Alphen Common. Ruth Mattison)

The following quote exemplifies Keith’s approach to life

“This is the true joy in life — being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one… being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake.
Life is no ‘brief candle’ to me. It is sort of a splendid torch which I have a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it over to future generations.” 
~ George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment