Tuesday 8 July 2014

Jean-Paul van Belle


Some memories of Keith Mattison

My first “typical” memory of Keith stretches to when I managed to get a last-minute acceptance to the part-time IS Honours class of 1991 (UCT course convenors had a bit more discretion in those days). I was told that I was to have the first student presentation of the course in the very first module. Somehow, between Keith’s canonical brief instructions and my desire to impress, I managed to mistake the topic of the entire module as the topic for my presentation so I duly went through about 90 transparencies (as I said, those were the days!) covering pretty much the entire module content in just under two hours. Keith let me present without interruption and only at the very end gave the most laconic relaxed comment somewhere in the vein of “well, now that Jean-Paul has covered most of the lectures, we can reduce the lecture times so that we will have more time to exchange ideas in the pub” (ok, I am making this largely up, but can’t be far off the mark). Of the rest of the course, I only remember those  “after the lecture” sessions in the pub which, sadly, is no longer. See pic of the thirteen students in the class ... nowadays we are told that postgrad diploma class sizes of less than thirty-five or forty are not economically viable.

However, my starker memories come from the few times I went sailing with him. Once, when we were moored in the Houtbay harbour, a woman friend had not only brought her cell phone with her but she dared answer it – against his sternest rules of no cell phones aboard. Needless to say, the expected mishap did in fact happen and said phoned dropped into the cold harbour waters. Despite our assurances that the phone was a write-off, she insisted that we made an attempt to retrieve it. I wouldn’t have dreamt of giving in to such unreasonable demand but, ever the gallant gentlemam, Keith started stripping his clothes in preparation for the dive! (Being some 20 years younger and a more experienced diver, I did have to stop him from jumping in and, on what we agreed was my final dive, did in fact recover the now utterly useless object from the harbour bottom.)

My most vivid memory, however, comes from a time when we had to take the boat around from Hout Bay to Simons Town harbour in preparation for some False Bay event later that week. I knew less than nothing about sailing but acted on occasion as dumb manual help. However, he had two “experienced and seasoned sailors” on visit from England who were to join the two of us for what was expected to be a relaxed pleasure trip. The weather was as sunny with a light breeze, i.e. as  perfect as could be and we merrily set off. It was the first time I tried “gin and tonic” and I was completely unawares of its effects until I’d had about four, six or whatever number of those. Needless to say, as we rounded the Cape the weather turned completely and a storm like only the Cape can muster at such short notice let loose. Within minutes, the two “experienced sailors” were utterly seasick and disappeared below deck ... it turned out that they may have been experienced but had only sailed on the Thames, never out on the open sea. Luckily Keith kept his cool, made sure that I was properly fixed up with a rope and life vest and had me crawl to the bow to get our sails (the jib?) down on the heavy seas. I was still completely wasted from the many gin and tonics but the first wave that engulfed the entire boat sure sobered me up in record time! We lived to tell the tale no thanks to his positive attitude, experience and cool-headed handling of the situation and the obscure magic by which he finally managed to convince his rather fickle engine to spring to life. We finally got to the safety of the harbour in the pitch dark, at least four or five hours later than the expected arrival time, by which time my worried wife had already called sea rescue and various port authorities to report us as missing at sea...

Sending you lots of love and wishing you strength, Keith - from Jean-Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment