Wednesday 16 July 2014

Justin Phillips


I met Keith separately in a variety of different circumstances – firstly via UCT, then at perseverance Tavern, then as a Director of FTI where  sent many of my staff, and lastly, most notably, as a fellow yachtsman!  Through this blog I have learned of his association with WS&L, of which I am also a graduate (thanks to Graham and Humphrey), and surprised I never made that acquaintance too. He also did quite a bit of IT work for us at Shell although not directly with me.

Keith had a lust for life as few people ever. I know him better through sailing than other avenues. He was a hugely enthusiastic yachtsman both on and off the field if you could put it like that, and FTI Flyer was a given in almost every regatta. Keith suffered a notable misfortune with his first yacht (well I think it was his first) entering Hout Bay in a storm some years ago – suffice to say the mast was salvaged act as the club mast at Hout Bay Yacht Club - where it stands in his memoriam to this day. He recovered quickly and went on to acquire FTI Flyer which was well campaigned in almost every race since then. He was a well respected sailor, musician, IT guru and bon vivante (did I see rally driver somewhere?) – not necessarily in that order. He loved life, and was a great guy to talk with. I was amazed to see him entering the Cape to Rio earlier this year as well.

Go well Keith. You leave fond memories!!

Justin Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment