Friday 20 June 2014

Gail Belcher



                                               An Ode to Keith Mattison

Keith, what can I say. I have some pretty crazy memories of you. You were the boyfriend of my dear friend Ruth. We were classmates at the Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing in Toronto and then we taught nursing together after graduation. At one point in time Keith, and my husband Len, at the time, coached our East General Hospital School of Nursing basketball team. We lost a lot, as I recall. These same guys helped Ruth and I to organize the very first nursing union meeting---when there was no union. Nobody came to the meeting. The nurses were all afraid of the repercussions. A lot has changed. I like to think we made a difference.

These early failures did not stop any of us. We played bridge together one night and Keith became so angry at Ruth’s bid that he threw the playing cards all over the room. Thanks for that guy!  I have never played bridge since then. Oh, Keith, you were too funny! I also recall that you were so hyperactive that you couldn’t wear a self winding watch because you over wound it with all your energy.  Then there was the old MGB with the hole in the floorboard and you could see the road go by under your feet. You and Ruth used to go on road rallies in it. And the New Years Eve when Len dislocated his shoulder and we had to go to the emergency department. We did try to reset it on the kitchen table but it didn’t work. I wonder why.

Then you left. I remember two young married people heading off on a trip around the world for a year. Ruth with her beautiful long brown hair. You found Capetown and you never came back. I loved our time together on the few occasions that you visited home. We were busy catching up with all your wonderful stories about living life in South Africa. I always wanted to visit you there. I finally got my opportunity. One marriage fell apart and another one began. I had met Charles---my tall and handsome, brown skinned African American. He wanted to go to South Africa with me---and so we went! It was a trip beyond measure.

Charles and I were there in 1992. We were there when the white referendum vote was happening. When we arrived at the airport Ruth and Keith asked if we wanted to go to Chapman’s Peak to drink wine and watch the sunset over the ocean or go to the Capetown City Hall to hear F.W. de Klerk open the White Referendum campaign. Of course we chose the latter. We also had the opportunity while visiting Kruger Park to go to a polling station on referendum Day and drink tea with the Afrikaaner farm women in the Transvaal. They were part of the “Ja” contingency.   The evening before we left for the Transvaal, Keith drove the four of us at break neck speed to the Cape of Good Hope radio station where Demetri was hosting a show entitled, “If you could vote, how would you vote?” And, yes, Charles identified himself as an African American and proceeded to speak quite eloquently about the vote and the beauty of South Africa. The switchboard was swamped  with phone calls. We were political to the end.

But now for our favourite memory. It was the Capetown Music Festival and that year Keith was conducting the Capetown Symphony Orchestra and choir for Handel’s Sing Along Messiah. What a blast! Charles was given a seat beside a black gentleman from the townships. I wish I could remember his name. I will never forget their deep, rich voices singing the Alleluia chorus together. We still have a poster from that event that is framed and hanging in our home, signed by Keith---I think he wrote us a message not to quit our day job. Not true! It says, “Best of luck with your singing careers.”
Oh Keith, one more night of fun. You took us pub crawling and, everywhere we went, they wanted you to play piano bar. It was totally entertaining and we closed the last place down. I remember us driving very fast past a place called Ruby in the Dust and I thought of home and Neil Young---still one of my favourites.  I marvelled that his music had reached Capetown and I still love that song---Ruby in the Dust.

Seeing you and Ruth on your recent trip to Vancouver was a joy! We laughed a lot and told stories and you were able to see my children, Larissa and Matt, again, and my grandson, Nigel and Charles granddaughter, Jalica. Nigel still recalls calling you Harry because that’s what your children and grandchildren call you. If we see photos of you and call you Keith, he corrects us. Most importantly, I remember taking you to the airport and I wouldn’t leave until I saw you both walk through your final gate. I stood there waving until you were out of sight. You didn’t turn around but I want you to remember me waving to you both because I didn’t want to see you go. When I stopped waving, I cried. I don’t know why. I love you both and I cherish the  memories we created together.

Charles and I still want to come back to South Africa, mostly because you and your beautiful family are there.

Love Gail

Salaams and Duas  Ruth and Keith,

Our trip to South Africa was one of the highlights of my life. Under extraordinary circumstances, I found myself in your home in Africa. A dream come true!! Then  to have two fantastic tour guides really put things well over the top. Many thanks . I would also like to send a special thank you to Keith for helping to educate Gail on some of the finer points of Islam. Coming from you Keith it was very impactful and full of respect.

 I marvel at the thought of sailing the high seas and hanging with the whales,
 of conducting an orchestra in beautiful white tails.

Then I remember it’s Keith.               

Salaams  Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment