Monday 16 June 2014

Andy Bytheway


When I was getting ready to come to South Africa for a job interview at UWC (Keith was working there at the time and he was organising the recruitment exercise) I wanted to bring my mother-in-law, as a treat for her.  She was 83 at the time.  How do you explain that to a distant unknown person, whose assessment of your personality might be critical to your future life? 

I told Keith in an email that I would be bringing a "companion" with me, but held back from giving any details;  however there was one point in my explanations to Keith when it became clear that "she" was a female, and I have always wondered what his real reaction was.  On balance, I had decided that someone looking as if coming for interview with a girlfriend would be more credible than someone admitting that they were coming with their mother-in-law.  In the end, I had to admit the truth ...

The relief in Keith's face when I came slowly down the steps with an elderly lady, not a “fancy lady”, seemed obvious to me.  There were no jet ways at Cape Town airport then and it was a much smaller place.  He was wonderfully welcoming in his no-nonsense way.  Tickets were ready for us at the City Hall he explained, for an end-to-end concert of Mozart music.  But IF (and it was a very clear emphatic IF) we were not there at 7:50pm then he would sell them, because it was a sold-out event with a waiting list. 

Kay and I spent the afternoon in Somerset West with distant relations of hers, and - not realising exactly how far we were from the city centre -  we only set off back for the concert after 7pm.  As the time past (more quickly than the miles) we went faster and faster and in the final stages Kay navigated me off the overhead highway to the parking in the Grand Parade.  We made it to the City Hall at 7:52PMand Keith was there, to tell us that we were late and the tickets had been sold.  When our faces fell, he said not to worry, he would get two more and disappeared into the booking office.  Two tickets emerged, and we had a fabulous evening of excellent symphony orchestra music.

I have never regretted moving to South Africa, and my wife and I will always be grateful to Keith for facilitating the move.  He is a fabulous friend to have, and his kindness and insight into all things - musical and practical - has been inspirational. 





Andy and Ann Bytheway,
Riebeek West,
June 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment