Monday 23 June 2014

Derek Smith


Keith and I first met in the 80’s when I working at Shell in Cape Town. As a consultant, he was trying to help us make a leading-edge daily software system behave. We failed. Between Peter Lay, ProfK and Keith, I was persuaded to become a mid-life academic and join them in the Dept of Accounting at UCT. One of the best decisions in my career. I remember, Keith, you were then the reluctant Section Head but you were so welcoming. Thank you.

Keith and I were academic colleagues for many years during which time we got involved in many interesting university activities including part-time Deputy Directors of IT. Keith handled the library systems using a mean RFP to ensure supplier compliance when they messed up (it cost them dearly when they had to upgrade for free). Keith’s love of both teaching and programming made him a huge success with the student body, even when we were still trying to run Cobol on early Taiwanese PCs. Keith, do you remember that Apple Lisa demo using WIMP which we had never seen before? What progress since then!

With your vast knowledge, breadth and depth, you made a huge success of the part-time post-graduate programmes. Those evenings often culminated in a few lemonades and a game or 2 of darts. The annual staff cricket match against the postgrads at SFW was often dis-organised by Keith. A Canadian wickie was something to behold. I do remember you scoring a lot of runs in small units, though. You were also pretty good at hockey goalie too and whilst representing WP oldies, came to work one day with a black eye, bent teeth and a broken nose – forgot to wear a helmet …in goal…..K e i t h!

Liz and I were fortunate to buy and share an idyllic cottage in Rooi Els with Keith and Ruth over many years. Keith, the practical one, always seemed to find difficult maintenance easy and I am sure those alternations are still there today, especially the braai light. We miss those days.

When Keith retired from UCT, he left a massive hole. Through our connection at FTI, we have met occasionally, and it remains clear to me that you continue to maintain a long-term habit of doing 7 divergent things at once where a mere mortal would struggle with 2.

Keith, you were always a JIT player, (which made me nervous), but you delivered a class act for which I have HUGE admiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment